Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Werner's Gonna Need a New Home

I started Werner von Wallenrod's Humble, Little Hip-Hop Site way back in 1997 as an AOL members' page, because that's how I - like almost everybody in '97 - was accessing the net. Over the years, a lot of people moved on to other services, and Werner's grew from a humble, little site to a humble, huge site, full of ancient coding, some low quality graphics, etc. It's a huge monster of pages connected to pages, with all different screennames hosting different sections.

I started this blog in January of 2007 - I decided to make it an AOL Journals blog to commemorate the fact that my site was still an ancient AOL members page after all these years. There've been a few frustrating drawbacks (like people needing to register with AOL to comment), but I've stuck by it.

But I just got an e-mail telling me that on October 31st, AOL will be shutting down their Journals for good. What's more, I went to an article they linked in the e-mail, poked around a "Peoples' Connection" blog they have up; and found a previous announcement saying they're shutting down all of their webhosting (thanks for the no e-mail on that one, guys... I could've just woken up one day and seen it all deleted)! Everything I've created since 1997 has gotta find a new home - it's gonna be a massive, ugly monster to move (for example: "members.aol.com" is in pretty much every image tag on every page of the site!).

That also means the homepage address I've had since '97 (crappy as it was) and this blog address is gonna be gone (oh, and my Todd Solondz website, too)... bookmarks, links to my site: kaput.

On the plus side, it'll finally allow me to make some changes/improvements I could never do on AOL, and force me to finally swap out some of that terrible coding and bad graphics I made way back in the 90's when nobody knew any better. And I won't have to rely on their ...lacking customer service anymore (calling their paid tech support guys to talk to people who didn't know aol even had a journals section LOL). But I'm sure not looking forward to the chore of redoing all that.

I just got this notice tonight; so I don't know where I'm gonna move to yet or anything. So stay tuned and I'll announce whatever new URLs and stuff you guys'll need to know to find this blog and the site as I get it sorted. They say, "We're working on a way to easily move your Journal to another blogging service," so hopefully that turns out to be true, rather than me having to remake every post manually.

In the meantime, I will continue to update this blog here.

TTFN.

1 comment:

  1. This is very sad to hear. I have been viewing Werner von Wallenrod's Humble, Little Hip-Hop Site since about 1997 or 1998 can't remember but I hope everything turns out good.

    ReplyDelete