Thursday, August 25, 2022

DJ Eons One Rocks and Rolls In Stere-Ere-Oh

So this is going to be a rather breezy entry, primarily because I feel uniquely unqualified to review this one: Sell Your Soul Pt. II by DJ Eons One on his own Tinted Windows label.  Eons One, of course, is the producer/ DJ half of Grand Invincible and Underbucket.  And this is a pretty limited CDR rock mixtape release.  It was originally limited to just 43 copies in 2017, but trusting discogs' info, it was repressed in 2019.  I don't even know which one I have... it has the catalog number of the 2017 release, but for all I know, the 2019s could easily have the same number.  My copy didn't come in a cover, so it's a mystery to me.  I got it as a freebie with something else I ordered from Megakut, and I was going to cover it at the time, but then I put it in, listened to it and kinda figured, well, I don't really know what to say about this.  But as I'm going through this "Week" of the extended Sacred Hoop fam, it's now or never.

Regular readers will know, I'm a lifelong fan and reasonably well-informed when it comes to Hip-Hop music.  And I've casually listened to plenty of R&B, reggae, funk and other Hip-Hop adjacent-genres over the years.  But really, I'm a strictly Hip-Hop guy.  I don't know any songs by The Rolling Stones outside whatever I might've heard in car commercials, I can't name all The Beatles, I wouldn't recognize a single song if you played it for me by groups like Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix, The Sex Pistols, Pearl Jam or whoever else.  Schoolly D & Code Money perfectly summed up how I feel about rock & roll all the way back in 1985.  And again in 1988.  That's where I'm coming from.

And  notice I said this is a "rock mixtape," as in a DJ Eons One mix of rock & roll records.  I think that makes this a pretty rare and novel venture, right?  I don't think rock mixtapes are really a thing, at least in the sense of a proper turntablist making a creative, original work, as opposed to just fans recording their favorite songs onto a tape.  ...Or maybe it's not, and there's a whole tradition of this I've just never encountered.  Like I said, I'm not qualified.

More to the point, I don't know if these are rare or choice songs he's selecting... I like to imagine this is the result of some serious crate digging, and these deep cuts would be a real treat for a true rock fan, but hell, I don't actually know that for a fact.  Alls I know is I don't recognize this stuff from any car commercial I've ever heard. 🤷

I can tell you this exists, though, so if you think you might be the audience for this, check it out.  It might be a challenge to find even the 2019 CD, but Eons One is still hosting the mix itself online on mixcloud.  There was also a Vol. I in 2017, only released via super rare cassette, and it's online, too.  I'll hang onto my copy as a collectors' item, but this could really be somebody else's jam.  Maybe.  I don't know.  I've already started writing another Father MC post in a second tab.

No comments:

Post a Comment