Thursday, July 23, 2009

Learn Along With Werner, part 2

It's not necessarily a rule of mine that every "Learn Along With Werner" post of mine be about Father MC, but what can I say? It is what it is; and really, there can never be too many blog posts written about Father.

This album is one I knew of for a long time, and I'd done some online research to confirm the details for my Father MC discography page; but I never actually had this in my collection. But I finally broke down and picked this up last month. It's I Love You Like you Are, by Ray Parker Jr. (best known for the classic GhostBusters theme song, of course), which came out in 1991 on MCA. So, basically the same label as Father, just as he was releasing his third or fourth hit single off his debut album.

Now, I already knew Father had a couple guest spots on this album. Heck, there was even a video for one of them. But one thing I didn't know is that he produced and wrote (not just his own parts) on this album. What's more, even though he's only credited as having guest raps on two songs, the liner notes point out that he and someone named Tricky also do background vocals on a song called "Girl I Saw You" (one that he also wrote and produced). But having now listened to the album, he definitely does more than "background vocals;" he kicks a full verse:

"I'm in the mood for love, ah love;
I'm in the mood for love.
My name is Father MC and uh,
Hello, how are you?
Sorry for the interruption,
I don't want to bother you;
But you look so sweet and petite!
Come here to Love Daddy and have a seat.
'Cause I wish I could have three wishes;
For one, I'd be your mister, and you'd be my missus.
Never will I complain about doin' dishes,
As long as you keep givin' Father those kisses.
But Ray is the man, and I accept that he's the man.
I'm not a fan; and I just want to hold your hand.
But all's fair; I ain't cuttin' no throat.
I'm leavin', so pack me my coat;
I'm outta here - see ya! - on the next train.
S
o, keep your head up high, 'cause Father can't stand the rain."

...How is that just "background vocals?" So it turns out you've got three, not just two, Father MC guest verses (and I've updated my page accordingly). And the whole album's got a funky, new jack vibe if you like that sort of thing. Hell, Ray even raps a little on a couple of songs! There's only one or two brief moments of sappy, serious R&B; most of it's upbeat, fresh, and definitely a product unique to its short-lived time. And you get a little more hip-hop near the end, when London rapper MC Mello drops in for a guest verse as well.

So, yeah; I definitely wound up liking this album more than I was expecting. I mean, it's not high art, but they don't make 'em like this anymore. And, of course, it was a required purchase to further my position as the world's leading expert on the music of Father MC! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment